Pages

Mar 19, 2011

Bad Weather


Bad weather always looks worse through a window. 
~Author Unknown


My son always wants to head out the sliding glass door to our backyard and play in his imaginative world, but today's a very bitter, cold, rainy day and I don't think it would be a good time to be in the yard. This 8 year old is very active and can't seem to just sit in the house and read a book, listen to stories or play with his Lego's. Why do I think he should or would?
He is determined to go into the rain like it is just another sunny day.
One thing I love about my son is his personality.
"Mom it's not cold! Please, I want to go play outside!"
As I look thru the window I can see the weather is getting bad, 
"No, Julian, I don't think it is a good idea... there is lots of mud and I bet it is extremely cold."
His insistence pays off and I quickly tell him to play for just a little bit.
As I look thru the window the sky is growing dark, the trees are swaying in the wind and the rain is hitting against our sliding glass door.
That is when I notice our neighbors windmill just over our fence... it is banging roughly against the fence and twirling at a magnitude speed...
OK, he needs to come in, I bet it is severely cold out there!
As I open the door the bitter cold wind hits my face and rain splatters on my glasses.
"Julian! You need to come in, it's absolutely freezing out here!!"
As I continue to step outside, not dressed for the weather... I realize the extreme cold. But I also notice the sound of rain, the smell of wet mud, feel the cool, chilled wind and see the beautiful gloomy clouds...
It's gorgeous out here!!
The windmill is doing its work and letting me know how windy and stormy it's becoming.
Yes, it is absolutely freezing standing out here without a coat to cover my thin blouse and short skirt. But it's beautiful... Julian is playing in the yard oblivious to the storm, lost in his own world as I watch the windmill do it's work.
I don't know how long I stood there watching this windmill, loving this time outside in the stormy rain, listening to the beautiful sounds, but by the time I headed back inside I was wet and chilled to the bone. 
I decide to get my camera to capture this windmill and...
 remember this moment.

No comments: